- Hans Weber
- December 6, 2023
Thanks to Cebia, people can check the history of km for free for the first time
For the first time in history, people buying a used car have the opportunity to check their mileage history for free. In fact, Cebia has prepared a new product called Basic Screening, with which it has decided to combat the increasing rate of speedometer stalling. Already at this point, Basic Screening is available for 41% of cars that sell used cars. By mid-October, a further 38% of cars will be added and the free mileage check will be possible for a combined 79%, or four cars out of five sold in car dealerships or certified schemes.
Customers can learn information about having a Free Basic Vehicle by selecting a car online from the listing of advertisements (see below for a sample). After clicking the ad, the show’s Cebia clearance button is then placed directly on the car’s card. The basic listing is also available at the point of sale through the so-called Smart code, that is, QR code, after which the mobile is loaded, the same Basic Statement appears as it does over the Internet. If a customer comes to the point of sale and likes a car other than the one they originally spotted, they can also simply check their mileage history here.
“We are responding to the increasing rate of speedometer retraction and sales of cars with a retracted speedometer, respectively. Because of the hikes, 35% of the cars reviewed have their speedometer rolled up again. We believe that thanks to basic screening, this rate will be reduced to below 30% by the end of the year and will continue to be on a downward trend,” says Martin Pajer, cebia’s managing director, who has been helping motorists fight used-car fraud for 32 years.
In addition to the history of mileage conditions, the basic examination includes checking of theft, checking of financing, i.e. whether the vehicle is loaded with leasing or consumer credit, checking that the vehicle was not operated as a taxi and, last but not least, the specifications of the vehicle. All of this can be checked free of charge by customers at dealers who have joined the Basic Screening program on the car.
At half the cost of the normal price for screening, customers can then obtain a full vetting of the vehicle, which includes information on crashes and damage (including photos and an insurance company’s assessment of the damage), service records, age and origin checks, advertisements and ad photos, convening events, vehicle colour checks or detailed instructions for checking the originality of the vehicle. “We believe that by being able to obtain complete information at half price, the market can also be cultivated from the point of view of concealing crashes, falsification of origin or rejuvenation of vehicles,” martin Pajer from Cebia points out. A button to fully vet the car for half the price will be found by customers at the end of basic screening.
The biggest sellers on the market, such as AAA Auto, Auto ESA or DAVO CAR, etc., whose cars together account for around 41% of the market, already offer basic screening. By mid-October at the latest, other major dealers and certified programs such as Skoda PLUS, Das WeltAuto or Mama Car, for example, will complete implementation, increasing the share of cars with Basic Screening by a further 38% to 79% of the market.
The information people learn from the Basic Statement comes from the AUTOTRACER system, which contains billions of records of used cars from the Czech Republic and abroad. The data goes back to the 1990s; in addition to passenger cars, utility or trucks, motorcycles and buses can also be checked. Full vetting by Cebio is available at www.cebia.cz. The results are obtained by the customer within a few minutes. Information from the history of vehicles from Cebia is used by forensic experts, police, financial and leasing institutions or insurance companies, for example, alongside car dealers.