- Hans Weber
- December 1, 2023
Intense Thunderstorms and Heavy Rainfall Give Respite from Summer Heat in the Czech Republic, but Warmth to Return in September
Intense thunderstorms and heavy rainfall swept across the Czech Republic from Saturday through Sunday, bringing an end to the tropical heat that had dominated the past two weeks. As we move into the upcoming week, it’s likely that we’ll be reaching for both our sweaters and umbrellas, though the farewell to summer weather hasn’t arrived just yet this year. By early September, temperatures are projected to once again climb well above twenty degrees.
“The conclusion of August will no longer mirror summer across most regions. In Bohemia, temperatures will drop notably below the norm, while Moravia and Silesia may experience potent thunderstorms accompanied by potentially hazardous meteorological phenomena from Monday evening into Tuesday. The persistent cold front will subsequently be ousted by a high-pressure system during the latter half of the week. Consequently, cloud cover and precipitation will dwindle. The advent of summer-like weather is anticipated to grace the Czech Republic at the onset of September,” remarked meteorologist Dagmar Honsová in a statement to Novosti.
Week’s Weather Outlook:
- Monday: The morning hours will see heavy cloud cover and intense rainfall across the country, with potential thunderstorms bringing hail, heavy downpours, and strong winds in the eastern regions later in the afternoon. Afternoon temperatures will range from 13 °C in the west to 25 °C in southern Moravia.
- Tuesday: The day will bring cool and rainy conditions, with showers and occasional thunderstorms gradually decreasing in the afternoon. Morning temperatures will be between 14 and 10 °C. Afternoon temperatures will range from 13 to 22 °C.
- Wednesday: Overcast skies in the morning will lead to showers or rainfall in some areas, with morning temperatures between 13 and 9 °C and afternoon temperatures from 18 to 22 °C.
- Thursday: Partially to mostly cloudy skies will keep afternoon temperatures below the usual summer range. Morning temperatures will be between 12 and 8 °C, and isolated showers are possible.
- Friday, September 1: Summer-like temperatures return with clear to partly cloudy skies, possibly accompanied by morning fog. Morning temperatures will range from 12 to 8 °C, while afternoon temperatures are expected to be between 23 and 27 °C.
Over the weekend, a mix of clear to partly cloudy skies is expected, along with sporadic morning fog. Occasional showers might occur on Sunday. Morning temperatures on both days will hover between 15 and 10 °C, with afternoon temperatures ranging from 24 to 28 °C.
As August draws to a close, the Czech Republic bids farewell to the summer warmth with a series of thunderstorms and rain, providing much-needed relief from the recent heatwave. While early September promises the return of higher temperatures and sunnier days, the week ahead will remind residents to keep their umbrellas close and their sweaters closer.
Article by Prague Forum