- Hans Weber
- December 7, 2023
Prague locales, Czech Film Commission honored at 2023 Location Managers Guild Awards
Locations in and around Prague utilized for Netflix’s Oscar-winning All Quiet on the Western Front were awarded Outstanding Locations in a Period Feature Film at the 2023 Location Managers Guild Awards, which were handed out in Santa Monica, California over the weekend.
Czech location managers Petr Růčka, Marek Řídel and Jan Ondrovčák from Prague-based Film Makers s.r.o. took home the award for All Quiet On the Western Front. The WWI drama filmed in Prague and surrounding areas of the Czech Republic in the spring of 2021 before debuting on Netflix last fall.
In addition to Barrandov Studio and locations within Prague, standing in for areas of Germany during the first World War, All Quiet on the Western Front also filmed at Sychrov Castle, Hořín Chateau, Liběchov Chateau, and other locations. The vivid trenches of WWI were recreated at rural locations in Central Bohemia.
All Quiet on the Western Front had previously won four Academy Awards for Best International Film, Best Production Design, Best Score, and Best Cinematography, among a total of nine nominations. While multiple Prague-based filmmakers were nominated for Oscars, however, they didn’t come home with a statue.
Also at this weekend’s Location Managers Guild Awards, the Czech Film Commission was nominated for Outstanding Film Commission for their work on The Gray Man for Netflix. Starring Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans, The Gray Man shot in Prague’s city center during the summer of 2021.
The Czech Film Commission were one of just six commissions nominated for the prestigious award, but ultimately lost out to Canada’s Alberta Film Commission for their work on HBO’s The Last of Us. The City of Brantford Film Commission (The Handmaid’s Tale) the City of Worcester, MA Film Commission (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever), The Montana Film Office (1923), and The Oklahoma Film + Music Office (Reservation Dogs) were also nominated for Outstanding Film Commission.
The video game adaptation The Last of Us was a big winner at the 2023 Location Managers Guild Awards, picking up two of the ceremony’s seven awards. It also won for Outstanding Locations in a Contemporary Television Series.
In doing so, it topped another production that had shot in Prague: Jack Ryan, season three, which was also nominated for Outstanding Locations in a contemporary TV series and had filmed in the Czech capital in the spring of 2021. The Old Man, Succession, The Handmaid’s Tale, and The Diplomat were also nominated for this award.
John Wick: Chapter 4, which filmed in Berlin, Paris, and Tokyo, won the award for Outstanding Locations in a Contemporary Feature Film. Season two of The White Lotus, which notably filmed around some of the same Sicilian locales utilized for The Godfather five decades ago, won for Outstanding Locations in a TV Serial Program, Anthology or Limited Series. 1923, which filmed in Montana, won for Outstanding Locations in a Period TV Series.
Director Steven Spielberg was on hand virtually during the Location Managers Guild Awards ceremony, where he was awarded the guild’s Eva Monley Award, given to an individual who has contributed to the craft of location managers through their commitment to using real-world locations in filmmaking.
Location managers Beth Tate (Twilight, Beverly Hills 90210) and Dow Griffith (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) were also awarded Lifetime Achievement Awards at this weekend’s ceremony.
Here’s the full list of winners and nominees for the 2023 Location Managers Guild Awards:
Outstanding Locations in a Period Feature Film
- All Quiet on the Western Front – Netflix (WINNER)
- Argentina 1985 – Prime Video
- The Banshees of Inisherin – Searchlight Pictures
- The Fabelmans – Universal Pictures
- The Woman King – Tri Star Pictures/Sony Pictures
Outstanding Locations in a Contemporary Feature Film
- John Wick: Chapter 4 – Lionsgate (WINNER)
- Glass Onion – Netflix
- Tár – Focus/Universal Pictures
- The Covenant – Amazon/MGM
- Troll – Netflix
Outstanding Locations in a Contemporary Television Series
- The Last of Us – HBO l Max (WINNER)
- Jack Ryan, season 3 – Prime Video
- Succession, season 4 – HBO l Max
- The Diplomat – Netflix
- The Handmaid’s Tale, season 5 – Hulu/MGM Studios
- The Old Man – FX Networks
Outstanding Locations in a Period Television Series
- 1923 – Paramount (WINNER)
- Peaky Blinders, season 6 – Netflix
- Perry Mason, season 2 – HBO l Max
- SEE, season 3 – Apple TV+
- Westworld, season 4 – HBO l Max
Outstanding Locations in a TV Serial Program, Anthology or Limited Series
- The White Lotus, season 2 – HBO l Max (WINNER)
- A Spy Among Friends – Prime Video
- Daisy Jones and the Six – Prime Video
- Queen Charlotte – Netflix
- White House Plumbers – HBO l Max
Outstanding Locations in a Commercial
- Icelandair: Easy to Stop, Hard to Leave (WINNER)
- AirPods Pro: Quiet the Noise
- Apple: The Greatest
- Go RVing Canada: You Are Out There
- Visit California: Kidifornia Family Vacation
Outstanding Film Commission
- The Alberta Film Commissions (Calgary, Edmonton)/Calgary Economic Development – The Last of Us (WINNER)
- The City of Brantford – The Handmaid’s Tale, season 5
- The City of Worcester, MA Film Commission – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
- The Czech Film Commission – The Gray Man
- The Montana Film Office – 1923
- The Oklahoma Film + Music Office – Reservation Dogs, season 2
Lead photo: Director Edward Berger with actors Felix Kammerer and Albrecht Schuch behind the scenes on All Quiet on the Western Front. Photo: Netflix / Reiner Bajo
Recent postsSee All
- Hans Weber
- December 7, 2023